Mark Lowcock is Permanent Secretary for the Department for International Development. He was appointed on 9 June 2011.
Mark began his career in DFID (formerly the Overseas Development Administration) in 1985 and occupied the following roles:
- Private Secretary to Baroness Chalker, Minister for Overseas Development from 1992 to 1994
- Deputy Head and latterly Head of the DFID Regional Office for Central Africa (based in Harare) from 1994 to 1997
- Head of European Union Department from 1997 to 1999, before returning to Africa as Head of the DFID Regional Office for East Africa (based in Nairobi)
- Director, Finance and Corporate Performance, from 2001 to 2003 and Director General, Corporate Performance and Knowledge Sharing from 2003 to 2006
- Director General, Policy and International from 2006 to 2008 and Director General, Country Programmes from 2008 to 2011