The Future of Price Statistics: Innovations in Data, Technology and Methods
Follow the event on Twitter with #FuturePriceStats
Date: Wednesday, March 30, 2016
Time: 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. (ET) / 13:00 - 17:00 (GMT) or convert time
Location: J B1-080, World Bank Group HQ & Online
World Leaders have committed to 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) to achieve 3 extraordinary things over the next 15 years: end extreme poverty; fight inequality and injustice; and tackle climate change. To achieve these goals, data of higher quality, reliability, frequency and openness are needed.
Price data play a central role in the statistics needed to measure and inform the SDGs and development policies in general. The extensive demand for reliable, frequent and open price data, combined with the limited availability of such data, has prompted research to find alternative ways to collect and disseminate price data.
This half-day seminar will bring together key actors from national statistical offices, private sector, international institutions, and academia to discuss how technological advancements and new data sources and methods can be used to improve price statistics.
Join us for a lively discussion on the challenges and opportunities for leveraging the global data revolution to guide the future of price statistics!
Opening Remarks: Sri Mulyani Indrawati, Managing Director and Chief Operating Officer, The World Bank Group
Keynote Speech: Lawrence H. Summers, President Emeritus and Charles W. Eliot University Professor, Harvard University
Panel I: The Data Revolution: New Data Sources, Technology, and Methods
- Haishan Fu, Director, Development Data Group, The World Bank Group
- Joe Reisinger, Chief Technology Officer and Co-founder, Premise
- Alberto Cavallo, Professor, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Alexis Antoniades, Director of International Economics, Georgetown University - Qatar
Panel II: Innovations in Price Data: Applications for Policy-making and Official Statistics
- Deborah Wetzel, Director of Strategy and Operations for the Middle East and North Africa Region, The World Bank Group
- Jim Thomas, Index Methods, Analysis and Evaluation Branch Chief, U.S. Bureau of Labor and Statistics
- Jan Walschots, Senior Statistical Researcher on Price Statistics, Statistics Netherlands
Moderator: Nada Hamadeh, Senior Statistician and International Comparison Program Global Lead, The World Bank Group
This event has concluded.
Watch the replay!